Beneteau Oceanis 423
S/V Carthago is a 2003 Beneteau Oceanis 423. The three priorities in our boat search were speed, modernity and price and this boat had it all. It sailed on its own bottom from France to Australia and then spent a few years cruising Southeast Asia before it was sailed to California where we bought it. We feel really lucky finding a boat as well equipped as this since purchasing any other Beneteau 423 with standard coastal cruising equipment would have far exceeded our budget after outfitting it with what’s needed for a circumnavigation. Particularly, the generator, ground tackle, air conditioning and electronics package are what we are most happy about with this purchase.
We know what a lot of people might think. A Beneteau? For a circumnavigation? While Beneteau’s were not recommended by the “old school” sailors on online forums, we decided to trust this boat’s pedigree, as well as the dozens of other Beneateau’s that do ocean crossings every year on rallies such as the World ARC instead of couch sailing naysayers on forums. The Beneteau 423 is inspired by the Open 60 series and has been included in Cruising World’s Top 40 cruising monohulls of all time.
The name Carthago is in honor of Jose’s two grand fathers. Jose learned how to sail by cruising along the coast of Spain with them every summer. Carthago is in reference to Cartagena, the city in Spain where his family is from. It has also been the name of his grandfather’s boats.
LOA 43’2” (13.2 m.)
Hull length 41’8” (12.7 m.)
LWL 38’7” (11.8 m.)
Beam 12’11” (3.9 m.)
Deep bulb keel (6’11” draft)
Ballast (deep) 5,569 lbs. (2,526 kgs.)
Displ. (deep) 19,530 lbs. (8,860 kgs.)
SA (furling, 100%) 720 sq. ft. (66.9 sq. m.)
SA (classic, 100%) 753 sq. ft. (70.0 sq. m.)
Mast above water 54’4” (16.6 m.)
Ballast/Displ. (deep) 29%
SA/Displ. (furling) 15.7
SA/Displ. (Classic) 16.5
LPS 120 degrees
Fuel 53 gal. (200 ltr.)
Water 154 gal. (581 ltr.)
Auxiliary Volvo D2-55 diesel 55-hp
Designer Groupe Finot
- Main Sail Full batten 3 reef Dacron 9.6oz Mainsail with mast car system.
- Genoa 51.9m2 Elvstrom Roller furling 140% genoa.
- Spare genoa
Spinnaker Made by US — Blue and white. 16.8 x 8.56 (14.8mt) 7.1kg. Tri-radial, 1.2ozLost in a squal!
- Engine Max 60kW / 80hp Volvo Penta D2-55A HP Shaft drive
- Gearbox MS25L-A
- Propeller Folding 3 blade Volvo 358340 prop, rebalanced and profiled
- Stern Gland Seal (2011)
- Rudder Bearings and bushes (2015)
- Diesel Tank 200L
- Fuel Filters: 1x Racor 500 Turbine primary, 1x Volvo backup primary, 1x Volvo secondary
- Fuel polishing system runs through either primary filter
- Genset Fischer Panda 4500 FCB — 4.5 Kva (engine rebuild/re-wiring 2015)
Spars and Rigging
- Mast Classic Z-Spar main, double spreaders with lazy jacks and boom bag.
- Mast step.
- Boom Z-Spar with aluminum vang
- Spinnaker Pole Mounted to mast Z-Spar with mast car system
- Standing rigging (2015)
- Running New Spectra main halyard (2016)
- New jib and reefing lines (2016)
- New Spectra headsail halyard (2015)
- New jib furler, topping lift, mast climbing halyard, spinnaker halyard & sheets (2016)
- 2x Lewmar 48 self-tailing winches
- 1x Lewmar 30 self-tailing winches (starboard).
- 1x Electric Lewmar 30 halyard winch (port side)
- (All Raymarine equipment & AIS interfaced together)
- Raymarine E90W HybridTouch chartplotter with European Charts at Nav Station.
- Raymarine E120W HybridTouch chartplotter with Rest Of World Charts at Helm.
- Navigation Alarm External alarm buzzer with on/off switch
- Raymarine 48nm RD418HD 4kW 18″ HD Digital Radar.
- Raystar 125 GPS receiver
- Raymarine ST60 Rudder Indicator Instrument
- Raymarine ST60 Tri-data Depth, Speed, Log Instrument
- Raymarine ST60 Trasducer Wind Vane Wind Instrument (4/2015)
- Raymarine ST6001 Autopilot & Rudder instrument
- Raymarine ST6001 Autopilot & 150/400 quadrant
- Raymarine DSM300G Digital Sounder module
- Raymarine STHS Network Switch
- Raymarine B744L tri-data Sonar Transducer (A66091)
- Raymarine 218E VHF radio
- Raymarine RayMic 2nd Station
- VHF Antennae Shakespeare 5400-XT Antenna with new RG-8 cable (2015)
- Motorola SAF5350-B Fixed Mast Antenna for Iridium Sat phone (2015)
- Spare Supercal MV3S (Shark 3) VHF Antenna with new RG-58 cable
- AIS CSB200 Class B AIS Transponder (MMSI 503418800)
- Shakespeare VHF AIS stainless steel 3 foot whip antenna # 5215-AIS (2015)
- Plastimo Olympic 135 Pedestal Compass
- Shore Power 240V Switch panel, shore power cables and adapters
- Hot Water 240V and engine heated 42L HWS
- Crusair 1 x 12,000 BTU, 1 x 7000 BTU Air Conditioners
- Nav / Anchor Lights Replaced with LED bulbs. (High or low switchable stern lights for dinghy davits)
- All incandescent light bulbs replaced by low energy ‘warm’ LEDs and Mood LED’s
- Bilge 2x 200GPH Jabsco 37201-2712 bilge pumps with non-return valve
- Backup Rule 800GPH bilge pump
- Bilge switch & alarm
- Rule Auto float switch & alarm
- Manual Plastimo Bilge pump
- Water 12v pressure hot and cold water
- Heads Foreward 1x manual
- Heads Aft 1x manual
- Showers (fresh) 2x internal heated, 1x external freshwater on swim platform
Batteries and Electrical
- Genset Diesel Fischer Panda 4500 FCB — 4.5 KVa
- Alternators 90A on engine (rebuilt 2016)
- Solar Panels 6x 100W Solbian flexible SP100L with 2 x Blue Sky 2512i charge controllers (2016)
- Silenwind 400W wind generator (2016)
- Engine Crank battery 1 x 100 amp/hr with charge isolator
- House batteries: 3x 230 AMP/HR Trojan AGM Marine batteries (2015)
- Mastervolt MASS 12/80 battery charger
- Mastervolt MASS Sine 12/2000 2kW 220V AC Inverter with C4-RI remote switch (2014)
- Mastervolt Battery Monitor BTM remote monitor
- 110V to 220V Converter
- 220V Sockets 1 in each cabin, several in saloon and galley
- 12V Sockets 1 in each cabin, 1 in saloon, 2 in cockpit
- Audio Sony CDX-H905iP Marine with CD, MP3, AM/FM tuner, remote control & iPod interface.
- Sony RM-X11M wired cockpit remote control
- Nautic 660 540W amp. 4x saloon speakers and 2x Kenwood cockpit speakers
- Video Panasonic LCD TV (12V) interfaced to stereo surround sound with remote control
- Video Sony MEX-DV1500U DVD player with USB inputs with remote control
- Antenna Mast mounted Glomex Non Directional TV Antenna & Signal booster. New antenna cable
- Life Raft Zodiac MP6C Open Sea Class 11 (6 man) with support bracket. Serviced Nov 2012
- Life Preservers 2x Mustang Deluxe inflatable, 6x adult PFD, 1x children PFD, 4x safety harness, 4x Tethers
- Self inflating Danbuoy
- Two Horseshoe life buoys with new automatic float Lights
- 406MHz GME MT403G Auto GPS EPIRB.
- Gas Detector SA-1 XL Safe-T Gas Fume Detector. Gas sensor mounted by alternator
- Katadyn Survivor 35 Desalinator.
- Flares Numerous red light and orange smoke.
- Comprehensive First Aid Kit, replenished Dec 2012
- Fire Extinguishers 2x 2kg ABC (May 2011), 2x 1kg ABC Fire extinguisher (Jan 2010)
- Fire Blanket New May 2011 May 2011
- Boat hooks 1 on coach roof, one in stbd lazarette
- Flags Many various, mostly Asian and European countries
- Signalling ‘Anchor ball’ and ‘motoring cone’ day shapes
- Cooker Galley ENO 2 burner gas stove and oven
- 12V Danfoss 35 Fridge & freezer
- Weber Q120 transom-mounted BBQ
- Samsung Microwave
- Gas 2x 4kg gas bottles
- Kitchenware Galley Pots, pans, Stainless utensils, crockery, plastic cups & glasses
- Salt water rinse Galley Foot pump operated
- 500 litre Water Tanks Under Fwd & Aft bunk 1x 300L, 1x 200L.
- Dinghy – Walker Bay Genesis 270 (2015)
- Dinghy Davits – Removable stainless steel Weaver dinghy snap davits
- Outboard Yamaha 15HP 2-stroke
- Canvass Bimini & Strataglass dodger (updated 2016)
- Covers Bow and boom sun shade covers
- Fold away cockpit table
- Expandable saloon table that converts to a large double bed
- Saltwater deckwash shower hose
- Foreward Electric Leroy Somer G16011 Anchor Windlass
- 200′ or 65m hot galvanised 10mm anchor chain and snubber plus 500′ or 150m 16mm nylon rode
- 60 lb Manson NZ hinged CQR plough anchor
- 20kg / 45lb CQR anchor
- 15kg / 33lb Fishermans anchor
- 14kg / 30lb Danforth anchor
- Dinghy anchor
- Mooring 200ft multi-plait warp, 6 sprung warps, assorted warps and old halyards
- Fenders 8x F3, 1x F2, 1x A2, 1x A3.
To get a better idea of what a Beneteau 423 looks like, here are some pictures from the “for sale” ad.