2003 Beneteau Oceanis 423
S/V Carthago is a 2003 Beneteau Oceanis 423. The three priorities in our boat search were speed, modernity and price and this boat had it all. It sailed on its own bottom from France to Australia and then spent a few years cruising Southeast Asia before it was sailed to California where we bought it. We then sailed it down to Mexico and across the Pacific all the way to Fiji where it is being actively cruised today. We feel really lucky having a boat as well equipped as this and know that the next owners will feel the same way. The Beneteau 423 is inspired by the Open 60 series and has been included in Cruising World’s Top 40 cruising monohulls of all time. Let’s start with the specs:
LOA 43’2” (13.2 m.) Hull length 41’8” (12.7 m.) LWL 38’7” (11.8 m.) Beam 12’11” (3.9 m.) Deep bulb keel (6’11” draft) Ballast (deep) 5,569 lbs. (2,526 kgs.) Displ. (deep) 19,530 lbs. (8,860 kgs.) SA (furling, 100%) 720 sq. ft. (66.9 sq. m.) SA (classic, 100%) 753 sq. ft. (70.0 sq. m.) Mast above water 54’4” (16.6 m.) Ballast/Displ. (deep) 29% Displ./Length 154 SA/Displ. (furling) 15.7 SA/Displ. (Classic) 16.5 LPS 120 degrees Fuel 53 gal. (200 ltr.) Water 154 gal. (581 ltr.) Volvo D2-55 diesel 55-hp (3900 hours as of 9/2017) Fischer Panda 4.5kw Diesel genset (1375 hours as of 9/2017)
And some reasons why the Beneteau Oceanis 423 owner’s version is the best boat for a cruising couple:
- Speed: – Mexico to the Marquesas in 20 days. Yup, 3000 nautical miles in 20 days.
- Safety: – Deep keel for blue water cruising. – L-shaped galley. Feed hungry sailors without getting tossed around with every wave! – Oceanis is Beneteau’s blue water cruising design.
- Swim platform. You’re out cruising. Getting in and out of the crystal clear blue water should be as easy as possible!
- 2 cabin layout. Two large cabins with queen beds, excellent storage and private heads. A drop down table and settee make extra sleeping space for a total of 7 people.
- Head room. Our buddy is 6’7 and even he doesn’t have to duck down!
- Forward facing nav desk. Essential for a blue water cruising boat. Plan your passages in safety and comfort.
- Air Conditioning throughout the boat. Especially useful in the tropics to get rid of the humidity inside the boat.
Why Carthago is the best Beneteau Oceanis 423 for sale:
- Experience. Carthago has had one Atlantic and three Pacific ocean crossings. She sailed from France where she was built to Australia; Singapore to San Francisco and then onto the blue waters of Fiji! They say that being blue water ready is less a test of the boat and more a test of the crew. This is certainly true!
- Upgrades. We’ve added over $120K in cruising upgrades and luxuries in the past few years to make Carthago our home on the water…and we’ve got the receipts to prove it ;) This boat has everything you need to take off on your next adventure.
We spent the time and money upgrading the following so you won’t have to:
- NEW 2015 all standing rigging replaced $12,000*
- Rebuilt 2015 Fischer Panda diesel generator with sound enclosure Replacement value $10,500
- Raymarine E90W and E120W chartplotters w/huge color touchscreens $7,900
- NEW 2015 Volvo transmission $7,300
- NEW 2015 Mainsail and Jib (older genoa also included) $6,20
- NEW 2015 All new wiring $3,300*
- NEW 2015 All through hulls replaced w/highest quality bronze (labor intensive) $4,400*
- NEW 2015 Upgraded jib furler $2,700
- NEW 2016 Maxwell HRC10 windlass $2,600
- NEW 2015 Rudder bearings and steering components (chain/turning blocks etc.) $2,400*
- NEW 2015-2017 680W of solar power + Bluesky 2512i controllers $2,200
- NEW 2017 Bottom paint $2,000
- NEW 2016 Whole boat sun shade covers $2,000
- NEW 2015 Mastervolt 12v/2000W charger/AC inverter $1,900
- NEW 2015 – 3x230ah Trojan AGM battery bank (690ah total!) $1,850
- Raymarine Digital HD radar $1,700
- NEW 2015 Volvo 3 blade folding prop $1,400
- Comar AIS transponder and receiver $900
- NEW 2016 90A Alternator + a spare $400
- NEW 2015 Optima AGM starter battery $200
- NEW 2015-2017 Updated running rigging $ several thousand
- Updated 2016 Bimini $several hundred
- Updated 2016 Dodger $several hundred
- Updated 2016 lazy jacks $several hundred The Nice-to-Have’s:
- Cruisair air conditioning throughout boat $4,800
- NEW 2017 Upgraded Danfoss fridge/freezer, seawater cooled $1,600
- NEW 2016 400W Silentwind generator $2,050
- NEW 2017 Aquapro aluminum hypalon 10ft dinghy $2,900
- NEW 2016 interior with Sunbrella fabric $2,300
- NEW 2017 Galley countertop replaced $2,200
- Yamaha 15HP 2 stroke outboard $1,500
- NEW 2016 satellite phone Iridium Go! with antenna $1,200
- NEW 2015 60 inch screen + projector $579
- NEW 2017 200L collapsible fuel bladder $200
- All LED lights $several hundred
- 200 ft of chain, 500ft of rode, oversized CQR anchor + 4 back up anchors $several hundred
- Labor/installation costs are not included in most of the pricing above unless marked with *
- Original Beneteau cutlery/pots/pans/dishes etc. all included to make this boat turn key
- We’ve got spares for EVERYTHING! Filters, oil, cleaning products, shackles, rope, electrical, an entire replacement toilet, etc.
- You can start your adventure in PARADISE. The boat is currently in New Zealand – we did the hard work to get her here, now you can enjoy her here! Fiji, Tonga, Kiribati, Vanuatu, New Zealand, Cook Islands, New Caledonia, Australia and Papua New Guinea are all within 7 day sailing distance!
- Pending sale, boat delivery is negotiable.
Why we’re selling:
We want to take you along for the adventure! After 15,000+ miles of adventure on Carthago, we’re on the hunt for a bigger boat that will allow us to take on more crew (you?!) around the world. While we’re sad to let her go, we know that she is a turn key boat, actively cruised and ready to bring adventure to someone else! The upgrades and investments have been made so that little money has to be spent for the next few years. Are you ready to get off the couch and start your own adventure?
Asking price: $165K USD
Pictures of the Beneteau 423 Oceanis for sale:
Bottom paint redone May 2017
Walk through of V-Berth cabin with updated Sunbrella fabric
Want to know more? Here’s the full inventory list:
- Main Sail Full batten 3 reef Dacron 9.6oz Mainsail with mast car system.
- Genoa 51.9m2 Elvstrom Roller furling 140% genoa.
- Spare jib
- Engine Max 60kW / 80hp Volvo Penta D2-55A HP Shaft drive
- Gearbox MS25L-A
- Propeller Folding 3 blade Volvo 358340 prop, rebalanced and profiled
- Stern Gland Seal (2011)
- Rudder Bearings and bushes (2015)
- Diesel Tank 200L
- Fuel Filters: 1x Racor 500 Turbine primary, 1x Volvo backup primary, 1x Volvo secondary
- Fuel polishing system runs through either primary filter
- Genset Fischer Panda 4500 FCB — 4.5 Kva (engine rebuild/re-wiring 2015)
Spars and Rigging
- Mast Classic Z-Spar main, double spreaders with lazy jacks and boom bag.
- Mast step.
- Boom Z-Spar with aluminum vang
- Spinnaker Pole Mounted to mast Z-Spar with mast car system
- Standing rigging (2015)
- Running New Spectra main halyard (2016)
- New jib and reefing lines (2016)
- New Spectra headsail halyard (2015)
- New jib furler, topping lift, mast climbing halyard, spinnaker halyard & sheets (2016)
- 2x Lewmar 48 self-tailing winches
- 1x Lewmar 30 self-tailing winches (starboard).
- 1x Electric Lewmar 30 halyard winch (port side)
- (All Raymarine equipment & AIS interfaced together)
- Raymarine E90W HybridTouch chartplotter with European Charts at Nav Station.
- Raymarine E120W HybridTouch chartplotter with Rest Of World Charts at Helm.
- Navigation Alarm External alarm buzzer with on/off switch
- Raymarine 48nm RD418HD 4kW 18″ HD Digital Radar.
- Raystar 125 GPS receiver
- Raymarine ST60 Rudder Indicator Instrument
- Raymarine ST60 Tri-data Depth, Speed, Log Instrument
- Raymarine ST60 Trasducer Wind Vane Wind Instrument (4/2015)
- Raymarine ST6001 Autopilot & Rudder instrument
- Raymarine ST6001 Autopilot & 150/400 quadrant
- Raymarine DSM300G Digital Sounder module
- Raymarine STHS Network Switch
- Raymarine B744L tri-data Sonar Transducer (A66091)
- Raymarine 218E VHF radio
- Raymarine RayMic 2nd Station
- VHF Antennae Shakespeare 5400-XT Antenna with new RG-8 cable (2015)
- Motorola SAF5350-B Fixed Mast Antenna for Iridium Sat phone (2015)
- Spare Supercal MV3S (Shark 3) VHF Antenna with new RG-58 cable
- AIS CSB200 Class B AIS Transponder (MMSI 503418800)
- Shakespeare VHF AIS stainless steel 3 foot whip antenna # 5215-AIS (2015)
- Plastimo Olympic 135 Pedestal Compass
- Shore Power 240V Switch panel, shore power cables and adapters
- Hot Water 240V and engine heated 42L HWS
- Crusair 1 x 12,000 BTU, 1 x 7000 BTU Air Conditioners
- Nav / Anchor Lights Replaced with LED bulbs. (High or low switchable stern lights for dinghy davits)
- All incandescent light bulbs replaced by low energy ‘warm’ LEDs and Mood LED’s
- Bilge 2x 200GPH Jabsco 37201-2712 bilge pumps with non-return valve
- Backup Rule 800GPH bilge pump
- Bilge switch & alarm
- Rule Auto float switch & alarm
- Manual Plastimo Bilge pump
- Water 12v pressure hot and cold water
- Heads Foreward 1x manual
- Heads Aft 1x manual
- Showers (fresh) 2x internal heated, 1x external freshwater on swim platform
Batteries and Electrical
- Genset Diesel Fischer Panda 4500 FCB — 4.5 KVa
- Alternators 90A on engine (rebuilt 2016)
- Solar Panels 2x 100W Solbian flexible SP100L with 2 x Blue Sky 2512i charge controllers (2016)
- 4 x 120Wsolar panels added bringing the total to 680W! (June 2017)
- Silentwind 400W wind generator (2016)
- Engine Crank battery 1 x 100 amp/hr with charge isolator
- House batteries: 3x 230 AMP/HR Trojan AGM Marine batteries (2015)
- Mastervolt MASS 12/80 battery charger
- Mastervolt MASS Sine 12/2000 2kW 220V AC Inverter with C4-RI remote switch (2014)
- Mastervolt Battery Monitor BTM remote monitor
- 110V to 220V Converter
- 220V Sockets 1 in each cabin, several in saloon and galley
- 12V Sockets 1 in each cabin, 1 in saloon, 2 in cockpit
- Audio Sony CDX-H905iP Marine with CD, MP3, AM/FM tuner, remote control & iPod interface.
- Sony RM-X11M wired cockpit remote control
- Nautic 660 540W amp. 4x saloon speakers and 2x Kenwood cockpit speakers
- Video Panasonic LCD TV (12V) interfaced to stereo surround sound with remote control
- Video Sony MEX-DV1500U DVD player with USB inputs with remote control
- Antenna Mast mounted Glomex Non Directional TV Antenna & Signal booster. New antenna cable
- Life Raft Zodiac MP6C Open Sea Class 11 (6 man) with support bracket. Serviced Nov 2012
- Life Preservers 2x Mustang Deluxe inflatable, 6x adult PFD, 1x children PFD, 4x safety harness, 4x Tethers
- Self inflating Danbuoy
- Two Horseshoe life buoys with new automatic float Lights
- 406MHz GME MT403G Auto GPS EPIRB.
- Gas Detector SA-1 XL Safe-T Gas Fume Detector. Gas sensor mounted by alternato
- Flares Numerous red light and orange smoke.
- Comprehensive First Aid Kit, replenished Dec 2012
- Fire Extinguishers 2x 2kg ABC (May 2011), 2x 1kg ABC Fire extinguisher (Jan 2010)
- Fire Blanket New May 2011 May 2011
- Boat hooks 1 on coach roof, one in stbd lazarette
- Flags Many various, mostly Asian and European countries
- Signalling ‘Anchor ball’ and ‘motoring cone’ day shapes
- Cooker Galley ENO 2 burner gas stove and oven
- 12V Danfoss 35 Fridge & freezer
- Weber Q120 transom-mounted BBQ
- Samsung Microwave
- Gas 2x 4kg gas bottles
- Kitchenware Galley Pots, pans, Stainless utensils, crockery, plastic cups & glasses
- Salt water rinse Galley Foot pump operated
- 500 litre Water Tanks Under Fwd & Aft bunk 1x 300L, 1x 200L.
- Dinghy – aluminum bottom Aquapro 3M (2017)
- Dinghy Davits – Removable stainless steel Weaver dinghy snap davits
- Outboard Yamaha 15HP 2-stroke
- Canvass Bimini & Strataglass dodger (updated 2016)
- Covers Bow and boom sun shade covers
- Fold away cockpit table
- Expandable saloon table that converts to a large double bed
- Saltwater deckwash shower hose
- bottom paint 2 coat ablative paint (May 2017)
- Foreward Electric Leroy Somer G16011 Anchor Windlass
- 200′ or 65m hot galvanised 10mm anchor chain and snubber plus 500′ or 150m 16mm nylon rode
- 60 lb Manson NZ hinged CQR plough anchor
- 20kg / 45lb CQR anchor
- 15kg / 33lb Fishermans anchor
- 14kg / 30lb Danforth anchor
- Dinghy anchor
- Mooring 200ft multi-plait warp, 6 sprung warps, assorted warps and old halyards
- Fenders 8x F3, 1x F2, 1x A2, 1x A3.